[haiku-development] Re: Multi-user is a mistake

  • From: Daniel <headbulb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:51:10 -0700

I don't believe the multiuser is a mistake. The use case that you
mention is easily remedied by the user being automatically logged in.
It could be the anonymous account all ones cares. All major platforms
do this.

The sandboxing would benefit and share much of the same code used to
separate users processes. Android does something similar, it runs each
app as a different user to securely set permissions on each app's
files. Linux/unix does it with daemons having their own account, that
way the process gets access to files it owns and has permissions on.

Computers having logins hasn't taken away the personal aspect if
anything it's given it. It's allowed me to save my private files and
still allow others to use my computer. What I believe you want is more
of a shared computing experience with others, but I don't think that's
a reason to not look forward to the future and having proper multiuser
implemented.