[haiku-development] Re: More encodings support in Terminal ( related to hrev43252 - src/apps/terminal)

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 09:42:39 +0200

Hi Axel,

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 22:27:25 +0100, Axel Dörfler wrote:
On 13.11.2011 14:28, Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
Are the UCS-2 and UTF-16 support has any sense in our Terminal? I can imagine people accessing Windows Telnet in DOS cp437/cp866 encodings but what about UCS-2? The chcp 65001 changes code page to UTF-8 and looks like the standard way to get multi-byte support in Windows console and
remote sessions. Should we implement it at all?

I'm not sure what your question is. I don't think UCS-2 or UTF-16
support makes sense in Terminal if that was it.

It was just reflections after bringing the Encodings menu entry in order. And I'm agree, that there are no need for this feature in this life. I just wanted to hear possible objections. ;-)

By the way, we have a coding tasks "starvation" at the current GCI and localizing of textencodings kit can be a good one. As far as I remember the only localizable objects in it are the names of encodings. Note that those names are used currently in Terminal, StyledEdit and Mail applications. Are there any objections against localizing the textencodings kit module?

The "Text Encoding" entry in preferences file looks like rudimentary and is not affected by any operation in current version of Terminal. How it
should be implemented at all? What do you think?

What is its purpose?

Currently it is read at every opening of the new Terminal window or tab, but I'm not sure is it taken into account at all, becase the Encoding for those windows is alaways UTF-8. Looks like is is simpler for us to remove this setting from the preferences and use the UTF-8 for newly created window or tabs. My opinion is that 8-bits encodings support is just for compatibility with legacy hosts and will be rarely used in the future.

By the way, there are some rudiments in the current settings that are not used:

{ PREF_IM_FORE_COLOR,           "  0,   0,   0" },
{ PREF_IM_BACK_COLOR,           "152, 203, 255" },
{ PREF_IM_SELECT_COLOR,         "255, 152, 152" },
{ PREF_IM_AWARE,                        "0"},

Looks like something related to Input Method support?

{ PREF_SHELL,                           "/bin/sh -login" },

At the moment the following text constant used instead of it:

Shell.cpp:
 71 const char *kDefaultShell = "/bin/sh";

Should we remove the PREF_SHELL completely or reuse it for more configurability for experienced users?

{ PREF_GUI_LANGUAGE,            "English"},

Looks like was planned for GUI localization and now is completely obsolete.

Just for information: my interest in hacking Terminal this time - is an yet another attempt to fix the "background holes" isesue in the text-mode applications like Midnight Commander etc.

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski