[haiku-development] Re: MediaPlayer in latest build

  • From: David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:01:42 +1100

2009/12/16 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2009/12/15 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > Also, I want to reduce the power consumption during media replay,
>> > and
>> > batching I/Os as much as possible makes a measurable difference
>> > (especially for audio where you could park the disk for several
>> > minutes).
>> Try r34665.  It has a measurable effect on Disk I/O for mp3 playback.
>
> Sure, but I would consider this a bit like a hack that is only really
> possible for this specific container (pretending to have a different
> chunk size only works if you control the codec as well).

Well we do control the codec :-)

In this case it is easy because the mp3 decoder does not expect 1
frame per chunks so it has code to join chunks and scan them for frame
headers.  So changing the mp3 reader to just pass larger chunks is
easy.

Real containers (avi, mp4, mov) generally have audio chunks that have
multiple audio frames anyway but even they can be small.

But I think the issues we have with I/O are less chunk size related
and more seek related and that should be solved by the reader.

By the way, is there an easy way to hook into the Activity Monitor?

--
Cheers
David