[haiku-development] Re: Loading add-ons

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 22:08:17 +0100

On 2008-12-06 at 21:46:57 [+0100], Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
[...]
> However, your email gave me a clue on what I'll need to do, and I'll try
> it later: instead of linking against _APP_ like I always needed to do
> under BeOS, I now should be using "-soname=_APP_" (or something along
> those lines). I wouldn't call this a bug, just a development
> compatibility departure, and it seems more logical to me in any event.

For BeOS the _APP_ symlink solution was necessary only on PPC, I believe. On
x86 (at least since the switch to the gcc tool chain), soname could be used
and Be's makefile-engine actually did that.

I guess BeOS' runtime loader hard-coded the resolution of the needed library
"_APP_" to the program image, which would explain why not specifying an
"_APP_" soname for the application, but linking your add-on against an
"_APP_" symlink still worked. I suppose we could do the same for sake of
compatiblity.

CU, Ingo