[haiku-development] Re: Keep NetworkSetup profiles, Drop buttons?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:39:30 -0500

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Hike Danakian <hdana2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it possible to incorporate the buttons in the interface-list itself
> (where it currently says 'connected'), as square icon-buttons? This
> would also avoid the awkward font layout of 'connected'. If it had a
> tooltip, and an obvious icon, then I'd think it would be a sufficient
> replacement for the buttons.

I had this idea too but I think it has two potential problems:

1. If the buttons are small so as not to make each list item too big
then they are harder to hit. Icon buttons can also lack immediate
discoverability (though a good icon and tooltip help.)
2. If those buttons are made bigger with a full label then space is
wasted for multiple buttons when the two at the bottom could suffice.

Nonetheless I think this is in the right direction. The whole idea of
having to select an item and then press buttons an arbitrary distance
away to do something with that item is annoying (Fitt's law and all
that.)

Configuring is more important than enabling and disabling in my
opinion, and should be made as easy as possible. So it should have a
fairly big button and also be the action on a double-click (invoke.)
Enabling and disabling could either be relegated to the context menu
or maybe a column list could be used with a checkbox on one side (left
probably) to indicate whether the item is enabled or disabled.

--
Regards,
Ryan