[haiku-development] Re: Interesting feature of Snow Leopard

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 08:55:14 -0300

Ryan Leavengood wrote:

> I mentioned this Snow Leopard feature in support of Stephan's idea to
> put the optional packages as zips on the install CD, instead of having
> them in the Live CD image and copying them over. A zip can probably be
> read more efficiently and unzipped faster than all the individual
> files can be copied over, especially from a CD.

I don't think this is a valid claim. Storing files in the inode itself
is very different from storing big files zipped. The first one works
because you read the file stat and contents in one go while the second
one works simply because data is both smaller and continuous on disk
(which makes CDs very happy), Other than that, I agree.

> As far as trying to do something like this in BFS, I think it is a
> good idea too.

I am not so sure. We make extensive use of extended attributes and we
already store then in the small data section, If we stored file contents
there, we would have to move the attributes out and we would most likely
have to do one or more seeks to get to them. I think this would make
things worse, not better. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part.

> - Disk ejection saying who exactly is using a disk that can't be
> ejected. I believe we already talked about doing this in Haiku.

lsof would be good enough for me. François? :)

-Bruno