[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Netservices API v2 proposal with exceptions for error handling

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:07:46 -0400

On 2021-09-04 4:28 p.m., Niels Sascha Reedijk wrote:
> I get what you are going for, but the real usefulness here is really for a developer debugging an application, at which stage you might as well attach a debugger and instruct it to break whenever an exception is thrown, so that you get the full stack trace. For general error handling within a regular application, these backtraces should not be necessary. (Unless the exception is not handled, after which the application could/should terminate with a stack trace).

I'm thinking more of end users being mystified by the one layer error messages.  For example, "Package manager failed to install X." is a one level message.  Layers of messages would have that at the top, but under it, "Dependent package Y failed to install." and under that "File Y.hpkg failed to download." and under that "URL https://haiku-os.og/downloads/Y.hpkg not found".  With that set of messages, not quite the same as a stack trace, the user could figure out that they have a typo in their repository name (og instead of org).  Something that single level messages rarely help with.  Using a debugger to examine the stack would be an alternative for programmers, but wouldn't be as good for the end user - cluttered with too much other information and you need to use the debugger.

So, layered error messages: better than a single level error message, more useful to the end user than a stack trace.

- Alex