[haiku-development] Re: Haiku + Acer Aspire One: Success!

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:09:35 +0200

Hi,

> LCD Brightness control works, and I just (within the past five
> minutes) found out that sound works (through OSS.) The volume seems to
> jump around randomly when MediaPlayer loses focus, VLC won't play any
> sound.

I may have screwed something up with regards to default settings. The
MediaPlayer is supposed to make "background" instances quieter *if* there are
multiple players running at all *and* if the settings is given.

As for VLC, there is probably a bug in either VLC or our BSoundPlayer
implementation that VLC things buffers are too late. Instead, it should simply
display the video later, so that it is in sync with audio. Audio has a big
latency in OSS to avoid clicks. The latency can be reduced a lot but then
clicks become audible when the system is even under slight stress. I can
probably reduce it anyways so that there is a compromise between "mostly
clickless" and a working VLC.

Best regards,
-Stephan