[haiku-development] Re: GSoC Project (DriveSetup)

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:36:31 -0400

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Bryce W Groff <bgroff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> My name is Bryce Groff and I am interested in participating in GSoC. The
> project that I am interested in working on is adding the missing
> functionality to Disk Device module as well as the DriveSetup application. I
> looked briefly at the code involved and it seems like it could make for a
> good summer project. Any additional information on where there might be
> problems/pitfalls would be appreciated.

Hello Bryce,

DriveSetup is Haiku's partitioning tool.  As of now, it only supports
initializing existing partitions or entire disk drives as BFS.  There
is no support for managing partitions, which primarily includes
creation, deletion, and modifying.  Most of the user-space application
aspects require additional structures in the kernel to be implemented.

Skill set: kernel development, UI development, usability basics.

ticket with additional information : http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3546

Looking forward to hear more from you!
--mmadia