[haiku-development] Re: File command?

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:56:23 +0200

On 2011-10-03, at 15:45, Rene Gollent wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Michel Clasquin-Johnson wrote:
>
>> Does Haiku have an equivalent to the file command?
>
> If the file has already been identified via mimeset, then the command
> "catattr BEOS:TYPE filename" will give you the mimetype. Otherwise,
> there's probably a port of file somewhere on haiku-ports, but I'm not
> currently certain as to where/what category.

On a related note, would it be a good idea to make the ports of some commands
sort of seamlessly take advantage of Haiku features?

For instance, file could check BEOS:TYPE first, then try to do a mimeset, and
only do its standard thing as a fallback (although this probably overlaps with
mimeset).

Another one is locate which could make use of BFS queries when possible, so
that you don't get outdated data like you do on other systems (I never trust
locate unless I run it immediately after updatedb).

-Truls