[haiku-development] Re: FFmpeg and licensing

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:59:20 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 09:07:04AM -0400, Augustin Cavalier wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:30 AM, pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Also, this is exactly why we have the media plugins architecture. A
> > commercial app making use of the media kit does not directly link
> > ffmpeg, and can be used with other plugins if needed. Thus, it is
> > considered separate software and is not affected by the GPL. There are
> > some extra tricks when packaging both such an app and the ffmpeg plugin
> > on the same media (ie our release CD), but stippi already pointed the
> > way to solve this: just move the ffmpeg plugin to a separate package so
> > it is really independant from the rest of the system, and make Installer
> > able to not install it.
> >

> Since FFmpeg does practically all our media decoding, I don't think
> removing it is such a good idea. With that being said, the only software we
> ship on the CD that is closed source is liblayout and Wonderbrush. Neither
> of these apps uses the Media Kit, so I think we can be pretty safe with the
> release CD.

I didn't suggest to remove it, but to make it a separate package instead
of contained in the big haiku.hpkg ; and re-adding a package list in
Installer so users can decide to not install it. This is only to satisfy
the GPL restrictions in a safe and not too constraining way. Of course
it would still be installed by default and people would still use it.

--
Adrien