[haiku-development] Re: Entry rename and queries

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:02:12 +0100

Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > So what do we agree on?
> > When using a live query, chances are very high that you want to
> > monitor
> > the file in question, anyway. Since the entry didn't change wrt the
> > query, I would find it cleaner to keep that separated.
> > Introducing B_ENTRY_MOVED would also require userland apps to
> > support
> > this (unlike my previous B_ENTRY_REMOVED/B_ENTRY_ADDED hack).
> I'm fine with the query flag to automatically start node monitoring.
> If we
> want to add the feature minimally invasively, we'd only add a new
> query
> flag just triggering B_WATCH_NAME watching on the concerned entry'
> node.
> The alternative would be to either squeeze the requested node
> monitoring
> flags into the fs_open_live_query() flags or add another call with
> separate
> flags.

Thinking about it, live queries are almost useless without further
monitoring the file.
Maybe the B_ENTRY_REMOVED/B_ENTRY_ADDED work-around wasn't so bad after
all (ie. it could be made working better) - it could be the default
unless one specifically asks for monitoring the results automatically.

Bye,
   Axel.