[haiku-development] Re: Dropping intel_gart (and agp_gart)

  • From: "Alexander von Gluck IV" <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 15:45:21 +0000

November 3 2015 1:53 AM, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 03/11/2015 um 04:25 schrieb Alexander von Gluck IV:

I wanted to collect some thoughts on dropping agp_gart.

intel_express is still lugging around agp_gart for modern chipsets.

Classic Intel AGP chipsets exist as PCI devices with an extra
layer to speed up transfers. Without agp_gart the bus simply operates
at the slower pci speeds.[1]

We've been carrying around agp_gart a bit longer than we should of
as intel_extreme performs all of its gtt work through agp_gart.

Since us leveraging 3d hardware rendering on classic Intel AGP
chipsets doesn't seem likely, i'd personally like to see agp_gart
disappear as it layers on lots of added complexity.

If I were to rip out agp_gart (and still have a functional
intel_extreme driver) would anyone care?

I don't see how it could work otherwise. The intel_gart driver just programs
the GTT to let the
driver access main memory -- there isn't anything else to it. It isn't AGP
specific at all, it just
happens to offer the same API AFAICT.
I'm not aware of any other method to map the graphics memory for Intel
chipsets, but please care to
enlighten me.

The Intel Linux drivers moved the gart / gtt code into them vs exposing the
gart externally.

It has been mentioned splitting apart intel_extreme into "old intels" vs "new
intels" That might be a good plan.

intel_extreme has been getting really complex lately due to how much the GPUs
are changing
(never thought i'd say it, but AMD's AtomBIOS has been awesome solving this
issue)

We could split the drivers at the need for agp_gart.

intel_extreme (through intel_gart) and intel_iris/hd ("after agp")?

I could take all of my intel_extreme rework, and split it into a intel_iris or
intel_hd driver / accelerant.

I would then leave intel_extreme as-is and just drop the newer PCIID's from it.

-- Alex