[haiku-development] Re: DeskBar auto-raise and the API

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 23:17:56

Hi Brecht,

Brecht Machiels wrote:
> I found the Deskbar auto-raise behavior quite annoying while testing
> the
> click-to-focus mouse mode. Apparently, this behavior is also annoying
> when using the other mouse modes.

Indeed it is, I guess we should at least turn it off by default until
this is fixed.

> In a recent thread
> (//www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Deskbar-autoraise), someone
> proposed to allow the Deskbar to be raised without stealing focus.
> The
> current Haiku API does not provide an (easy) way to raise a window
> without also giving it focus however.
>
> What do you think about adding a BringToFront() function to BWindow?
> I'm
> not sure if this function would ever be useful outside the context of
> Deskbar.

SendBehind() is also public API, so that shouldn't be a show stopper.
Other windows, like Workspaces/LaunchBox might want to improve their
auto raise feature as well.
Of course, we could also just have a B_AUTO_RAISE_WINDOW flag, and let
the app_server figure out how to do that; I just don't know if that
could work well, though (but maybe someone else feels like thinking
about it ;-))
At least centralized behaviour in this regard would be a plus (as it
could be made perfect), and more consistent, too.

> The alternative would be to allow Deskbar exclusive access to
> such a function by means of making the Deskbar a friend class to the
> Desktop class (or is there an easier way?).

They live in two different worlds, though, and cannot be made friends
easily. The only way to do that would be to use a private app_server
command in Deskbar only, instead of in the API.

> P.S. Can someone (Axel or Stephan, I assume) please reply to my last
> post in the "third mouse mode & mouse preflet" thread? In order to
> finalize the patch, I will need to know which constant names should
> be
> used for one.

Sorry for that, I didn't find much time before BeGeistert, and I'm
afraid I also don't have the mail here. I guess I could find it in the
archives, but if you are not too annoyed by waiting another week, I
wouldn't mind that either :)
Maybe Stippi has it here, though. He is already asleep, and as you
might be able to read out of what I write, I should be, too.

Bye,
   Axel.