[haiku-development] Re: Default Soundfont

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:55:27 -0800

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:44:57AM +0100, Axel D wrote:
> Pete Goodeve<pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > However are you sure that BSynth's soundfont should be a fixed system
> > component?
> >
> As many other system services, BSynth should collect the sound files it finds
> in the respective user/common/system folder, and that list would then be
> presented to the user in a preferences application. No symlinks involved, but
> a settings file, apparently.

Sounds good.  That's the way I'll proceed, I guess.

A symlink was always a bit of a necessary kludge anyway, because the
synth is finding the soundfont through a fixed name, but it would at
least be very impolite to rename an author's product ("TimGM6mb.sf2"
in this case) to that!

> Furthermore, the current sound file could just be a separate package that the
> user can remove if wanted.

I think this is what I was saying -- that it should be removable rather
than a fixed part of the system.  But if there's a scan to present all
the possibilities in a preference, that scan might as well include
/boot/system/data/synth as well, so if it's decided to put a soundfont
there, the synth will find it.

        -- Pete --