[haiku-development] DRM & Gallium3d

  • From: Dee Sharpe <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:39:09 -0500

Hello all,

I'm Dee Sharpe & I think that you guys have a common issue with my group. I've been doing development on the Syllable codebase, but not under the guidelines of the Syllable group. I'm not contacting for the Syllable group. I've written code for Syllable that's been packed with architectural guidance from your group & I think that this kind of sharing should go both ways. I know that you guys have had the Gallium3d bounty up for awhile. In the past, I've dug into this kind of work in an effort to bring it over to Syllable. Currently, I'm preparing to get back to work. On a general level, Haiku & Syllable have many similarities. I plan on keeping that in mind while working on DRM & Gallium3d in an effort to ensure that the codebase works on both of our platforms. One of the key issues about Gallium3d is that you need to have a hardware API that talks to the card. Most of the *nix derivatives use DRM for this purpose with DRI on top of it. The current state of DRM brings kernel modesetting with it. Syllable doesn't currently support this & I don't recall either BeOS or Haiku supporting it either. So, this implies that the issue will have to be addressed for both of our groups. Gallium3d will give us both opportunities to allow our appservers to render in a hardware neutral way via state_trackers specific to each of our systems. Obviously, it is up to you guys whether or not you accept my contribution. However, I feel that there's an opportunity for both of our communities to prosper in this aspect. I just wanted to give you guys notice of what my intent is.

--

Dee Sharpe

The difference between what IS done
&  what COULD be done is relational to
what you ARE doing&  what you COULD be doing!