[haiku-development] Re: Complex Text Layout and Rendering

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:22:23 -0400

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:35 PM,  <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd say it would be a good idea to use this one, since we already embed it
> in Haiku anyway, rather than adding another library.

An article about HarfBuzz and the state of complex text layout in
Linux mentioned that ICU may just wrap HarfBuzz in the future and
replace their own layout library with it. If they do so in a backwards
compatible way I suppose we could get it for "free" if we use the ICU
layout library now. Or that might not happen and we'll have to replace
our use of the ICU layout library with HarfBuzz if the former doesn't
keep up. Though I imagine once the infrastructure is in place using
one or the other wouldn't be that hard.

I think we have much lower hanging fruit in the WebKit port, but at
some point if no one ever does the above work in Haiku I could
experiment with using the ICU layout library directly in our WebKit
port for complex text layout (assuming it is possible to do so without
changing app_server.) This might teach enough about how it can best be
done inside Haiku itself. I think there is much room for inefficiency
if this is not done well.

But for now I'll just find a quick way to implement the missing
complex text methods in a naive way so that we at least can display
text which has the text-rendering: optimizeLegibility CSS. Apparently
more and more sites are using it.

--
Regards,
Ryan