[haiku-development] Re: Checking when media services are up [proposal]

  • From: Dario Casalinuovo <b.vitruvio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 13:08:45 +0100

 Hi Axel,

Generally, yes, such a method sounds like a good idea.
> I would just name it differently - how about BMediaRoster::IsRunning()?

There is no reason to expose/elaborate on the fact that there are actually
> two servers involved -- that's just an implementation detail that is not
> relevant information; ie. if put outside of BMediaRoster, I'd call it
> is_media_server_running() -- that would also better fit to
> launch_media_server() (but I'd prefer the BMediaRoster() variant).

I think it's reasonable to implement it in BMediaRoster. The only side
effect is that the launch_media_server and the shutdown counterpart were
probably here to don't force c programs to wrap the c++ API.
The only concern from a beauty/consistence point of view is that we'll have
complementary functionalities split up into two different places (at limit
we can even set up wrapper). But if no one have objections, and more
important..no one see what said as a problem i'll implement IsRunning() in
BMediaRoster.

Regards