[haiku-development] Re: Anyone compiled and using a natively compiled gcc4 kernel?

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:18:10 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:59:05 +0200
> Von: Michael Weirauch <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Building a kernel on gcc4 results in a smaller kernel image
> then the one built from my GNU/Linux install. This expected?

If both are the same gcc 4 compilers, they should produce the same output.

> Using the natively compiled on stops right after acpi dumps
> its tables and publishes its device in devfs.

Right now I'm using a natively gcc 4 compiled Haiku kernel, so generally that
does work. If you build components of an installation in different build
environments, care must be taken that those environments are configured the
same way. E.g. a KDEBUG disabled kernel won't work in a an otherwise KDEBUG
enabled system (or vice versa). The system would crash in the boot process. And
the kernel would be somewhat smaller. Does that sounds familiar? ;-)

CU, Ingo