[haiku-development] Re: ARM Port

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:22:13 +0200 CEST

> But for an ARM port I'm sure I could find time to help out :) I think
> Haiku
> makes a lot of sense as an embedded OS, although I think you'd
> probably need
> to change the UI quite a bit for small screens once it was working.

I think a custom decorator would be the first step, but we're not there
yet.

> > > I am also not
> > > familiar with haiku and this 'pervasive multi-threading' sounds a
> > > bit
> > > scary.
> >
> > It's really buzzword, using you usually don't even notice windows
> > use
> > their own threads in simple code, you just use it.
>
> Is 'pervasive multi-threading' used at the kernel level? That is what
> was
> worrying me, it didn't quite make sense to my mind and sounds like it
> could
> make development hard!

It's used in the kernel for few things, like network card input, kernel
daemon and such. Nothing weird, even Linux does it nowadays (one more
thing they copied from BeOS :P).

> > However, we'll be focussing on R1/alpha for x86 the next months,
> > and I
> > have the m68k port to finish first :D
>
> I read your article but I have to say that porting to 68k sounds a
> bit
> insane! Nothing wrong with that though...

Well, when it works it'll probably hit /. :D

> At the very least I'll keep following your progress and continue to
> tell
> everyone I know about this amazing OS that they WILL be using next
> year...

hehe :)

François.