[haiku-appserver] Re: Decorators

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:40:44 -0500 EST

> Does this mean no slidey? :/
> Also, where did Zoom go?  BeOS doesn't have a fixed-fullscreen window
> mode like Windows, why would we want to have a maximize app, then?
No sliding on this one. The decorators which have a maximize button
(Window$, BlueCurve, etc) use it for Zoom. Although not always, quite
often it ends up doing pretty much the same thing.

> I don't quite like this one...
You're entitled to your own opinion. I know Adi mentioned that he likes
using KDE+Plastik. Personally, I don't like KDE *or* plastik, but that
doesn't make his preference any less valid than mine. One thing that I
find particularly annoying about BlueCurve is the rounded corners'
usability -- if I "throw" the cursor into the upper right corner to
close the window, I end up missing the window entirely because the
cursor is right against the screen border, which, coincidentally, the
window is not in that particular place. It's kinda like the Start Menu
under Windows 9x -- when considering Fitts' Law, it's in a great spot,
but it ends up losing all the advantages of being in the corner because
it's inset by a few pixels. Thankfully, the Deskbar in the same layout
as the Start Menu does the right thing and NOT inset the menu button.
Anyway, the "missing corner click" is why I'm also working on a BeHat
decorator which has square corners but is otherwise the same.

FWIW, I have tried using Origin and OriginSimple under Dano. You have
to have the mousing skills of a Quake III master in order to click on
those *tiny* buttons, especially if you're running at anything above
1024x768. They both look good, but it's difficult to put into words
just how bad they are to use.

--DarkWyrm