[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: haiku-3rdparty-dev] Haiku 2.0 -- Unbuntu Touch -- impressions

  • From: spinach williams <spinach.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 08:15:10 -0700

On Sep 29, 2013 7:22 AM, <ciprian.nedisan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Beside from the missing developers who could port haiku to arm,
> there is still the issue with the UI, which is old fashion and not
> useful for tablets. I guess one would need something like an
> adaptive UI, which is aware of the dimensions of the screen.
>
> In my opinion ubuntu made a great move with pushing ubuntu touch
> (and not being relaxed and waiting), because like this, it has a
> chance to be one of the market leaders (next to android and iOS).
>
> My impression is, that haiku is loosing the train again, and not
> doing the switch to the new platform early enough. I guess haiku is
> not able (because even for ubuntu it's not easy) to make the switch
> to arm anytime soon (midterm) to support arm, and the other problem
> is, that some, if not many, will be against, especially against the
> upgrade of the UI, to an adaptable UI which can be used on small
> screen and also on large screens.
i'm a regular user person. mostly, i use computers for production work.
anything with a touchscreen puts me into consumptive mode -- my phone is an
internet browser and mail client, not a production machine. my work
requires actual physical controls -- i get by on a keyboard and trackball
(i shudder to think of those using control surfaces and midi controllers),
an abstraction on a touchscreen simply won't do. so far, what i've seen of
touch-based distributions, from the ui down, is pisspoor for most
production work, anyway, with no real multitasking (even when the os can
multitask, the user can't, for lack of tiling or drag and drop, or for the
awkwardness of cut and paste operations) and, again, abstractions standing
in for physical controls. a touch interface, then, is useless to me. i
wouldn't go so far as to call it a fad, but copying other touch interfaces
on some "me, too" kick would be a shot in the foot before the race starts.

the haiku gui isn't old fashioned, it's clean. the only linux desktop
environments that come close are fluxbox, openbox and e17, all of which
have foregone useless extras in favor of user control and flexibility.
still, nothing touches haiku's stacking and tiling (maybe xmonad? i've yet
to use it). all the majors right now are adding onto their interfaces
features which do nothing -- and honestly if you want to roll out a theme
pack to match a different aesthetic, more power to you -- it's all smoke
and mirrors. compiz is dressing over the multiple workspaces that'd been a
feature forever.