[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Threads & Signals (was Building Screensavers)

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:49:58 +0200

On 12.07.2012 17:32, Andrew Wood wrote:
Im currently trying to improve the efficency of the file reading code
though. Initially just to get it up & running I've got it reading every
file into a c++ vector before drawing starts.  This is fine if the
number of images & the file size is modest but it causes problems with
lots of large files.

Please have a look at the ShowImage source code in src/apps/showimage. Of special interest are the classes ImageFileNavigator, and ImageCache which you might be able to reuse almost completely.

All that is missing would be using a random order to iterate through the files (possibly using a Navigator wrapper class).

I'm not sure if you've followed Haiku's coding style already, but this sounds like a nice candidate for inclusion in trunk. In that case, the ShowImage sources could be used directly, without the need for duplication in the tree.

I would then also add a query iterator, I don't think ShowImage supports that already.

Bye,
   Axel.