[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Haiku 2.0 -- Unbuntu Touch -- impressions

  • From: ciprian.nedisan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:22:16 +0200

> what's any of it got to do with haiku?

One example: I buy a ARM   Laptop, and use ubuntu (and dual boot
android),
haiku doesn't run on it, that means, no haiku, no haiku, means, I
don't write code.
Since I have the new ultra book, which also doesn't boot  haiku,
I think I haven't written any code for haiku. Tested it in
virtualbox, but not more.

And I was even not talking about porting haiku to arm, to make
haiku able to run, on
smartphones... tvs, tablets, arm-laptops, because see the actual
situation, it's clear
that even if there would be an intend, there are very little
chances to make this possible.
I just say, that see that the success of arm is increasing, it's
also likely to become
more popular also on laptops, which will cannibalize x86 even more.
Less x86 computers,
means less haiku-users, and perhaps also less developers. Imagine
Haiku would be today just
available on the powerPC. Could be, that in 10 years, x86, will
have a similar importance
as powerPC today.

>right now nothing's stopping anyone from building applications
meant for a touch
>interface.

Just the API!! I tried to make my chess game and also the
documentviewer also
somehow also a little useable for touching with finger, but an API,
which helps to adapt
automatically the UI to the screen size would be a good idea.

Here I'm not talking about tablets. Tablets are one sort of
devices, where ARMS is used
a lot (of course there are also x86 examples, but these have good
chances to die out,
they consume more battery, and are more heavy, and often need
active cooling).
ARM is more efficient, and you can imagine that when you are in the
bed watching  a movie,
you would hate, to see it burning and the coolers working on high-
speed.

Nobody knows the future, but know I start to understand, that not
long ago, I was
underestimating the future of ARM. Perhaps now it's not that clear,
but afer you have
a full Ubuntu running on your arm-device, on which you can do all
your productive work,
then perhaps it will be more clear, that ARM is going to harm x86
seriously.