[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Catching control and drawing commands

  • From: "Yashasvi A.C." <yashasviac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:52:28 +1200

Hey guys,

As you know, I am working on an application that catches messages in Haiku
and analyzes them. That problem was solved a while ago using the
message_print_hook() command. However, I would like to know if it was
possible to catch something on a higher level.

Say, for example, I click on a button right now. Using the messages, I can
capture messages like _MMV, _MDN and so on. These represent the mouse
movements and clicking. However, its too low level taking the entire system
into perspective. What I am looking for is probably something like a control
command i.e. something like BTN_CLK or something when the button is clicked.
This would sort of give a higher level context on what the mouse click at
that specific location meant.

Hopefully, that description was clear. Similarly, is there any way to
capture drawing commands? When the different components of the UI are
re-drawn continuously on the UI with a Paint() or Update() command or
something, can we capture the messages/commands that go through then?

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
Yash