[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Bitmap of a View

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 13:24:51 -0400

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Jon Yoder <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Really? I wasn't aware of that. Are there any kind of practical limits on
> this, then?

We map each thread's stack by creating an area on demand (3 stack
pages + 1 guard page, so 16KB altogether), so the only practical limit
is either a) exhausting the available address space, or b) hitting the
system-wide thread limit of 4096. I'd wager you'd hit the latter
before you hit the former, since even a full 4096 threads would equate
to ~64MB of total memory usage. The system-wide limit could, as far as
I'm aware, be lifted higher if desired with a few trivial changes.

Regards,

Rene