[hackpgh-ham] yagi antenna tuning

  • From: Ed Paradis <legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-ham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 20:51:41 -0400

Hi guys,

For those of you who took home a Yagi last night: it might need some
tuning.  I ran a quick test on mine and it looks like depending on how
I have the coax running from it, I get a resonant frequency that is
pretty low.  That is good, because to increase the resonant frequency,
you cut length off the antenna.  To decrease the resonant frequency,
you solder bits of wire on for more length.

I am only talking about the Driven Element (the hairpin shaped one).

If your radio doesn't have an SWR meter built in, we can use mine up
at the shop sometime.  (Most HTs don't have SWR meters.)

Ed