[hackpgh-ham] Re: Hamfest cheapo 70cm radios - too good to be true

  • From: Doug Philips <douglas.philips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-ham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:48:32 -0500

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 01:07, Ed Paradis <legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So it turns out that they come in three flavors: a 'type 1' through
> 'type 3'.  Each has a different frequency range.  Of course the ones I
> got are "type 3" which only go from 402-430.  This only covers the ATV
> portion of the ham band.

I've been skeptical of these repurposed radios, apparently there are
gotchas.
That said, could they be harvested for ATV balloon use?

Speaking of which, I talked to a guy at the WACOM Hamfest yesterday who
had a fast scan TV kit that he was willing to donate to us. The story is
that he's
had it (unfinished) for "years". He couldn't get anyone else interested in
using
fast-scan, so his enthusiasm tanked and he never finished it. I don't have
-any-
other details until I get a reply on email. He thought the balloon launch
was pretty
cool, and it was as we were talking about the pictures that I mentioned
wanting to
do slow-scan for 'live' images that he asked about fast-scan and offered the
kit.
I don't know what needs to be finished or what specific parts are needed,
but its
an interested coincidence...

> Both power up, and have clearly labeled pins internally that look like
> the programming headers.  You can find the programming protocol here:
> http://www.interceptradio.com/wiki/index.php/Kenwood_TK-840
> Generic info and link to user manual here:
> http://www.ehow.com/list_7297456_kenwood-tk-840-specifications.html
>
> If anyone is interested in messing around with them, let me know.

Mosty I'm not EE enough to get the subtle details, so my 'messing around'
ideas are related to balloon video possibilities...

-D