[hackpgh-ham] HackPgh Radio Net

  • From: Doug Philips <douglas.philips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-ham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:03:54 -0400

After tonight's members meeting, some of us were talking about the
idea of having a HackPgh radio net, an idea first raised a few months
ago by jet.

The purpose of the net would be to discuss HackPgh related
events/business and raise awareness of the shop and activities in the
general ham community. Most importantly, though, it would give us a
place to practice operating radios and running nets.

The consensus of those talking about it in person tonight was that
Sunday night from 9:30-10pm would be ideal, and Tuesday night (time
still TBD) would be OK. If we can get permission, we'd like to use the
Pitt repeater (443.450, PL100) because it is also an EchoLink node, so
even folks who can't hit the repeater directly with a radio can get in
with an EchoLink client (and also because other hacker space's ham's
could link in).

Back when jet first suggested the idea of a net, I contacted Harry
W3YJ, the Pitt repeater custodian, about using their repeater, but we
(HackPgh) never reached a consensus on time/day-of-week for a net.
I've already sent Harry another note asking about the Sunday night
time slot. The Pitt repeater has a net from 8-9pm for nbEMS (narrow
band Emergency Messaging System) and so our 'ideal' time might not
work out. We'll probably talk with Harry more about this when he's in
the shop on the 29th.

I'm sending out this note because not all of the HackPgh hams were at
the shop tonight, so I wanted to let everyone know about the
discussion so we could continue it via the email list.

-73
Doug KB3TOA