[hackpgh-discuss] Whose stuff is that? in the shop...

  • From: Doug Philips <douglas.philips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:09:26 -0500

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 23:29, Derrick Brashear <shadow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ping again? I know there were a bunch in the shop that somebody(s)
> took home. Are they all at a good home now?

So far as I have heard/seen, they haven't come back to the shop, and it
seems unlikely that they will.

I changed the subject line as we have a bunch of relatively new members who
might not know how we "manage" the stuff at the shop (I don't expect anyone
to memorize "the tour" and any one person tends to get "the tour" only
once...)

If you keep something in the shop that isn't in your bin, how would someone
else in the shop know it was not "The Shop's" doodad available for free use?
Also there is a related problem of knowing what stuff in the shop is
available for harvesting of parts and what isn't.
We do have a few shelves designated for parts, but there is enough stuff
sitting on the floor in front of the shelves and scattered about the tables
that we need double check before harvesting anything or using tools in a way
that may damage or break them.

As we have a low, but steady turnover (mostly folks moving out of town or
taking breaks due to job related events), members who bring in tools and
"stuff" that is on loan to the shop need to mark them as their own in some
way (tape, label, etc.). We need to do a better job of letting new members
know this too... Stuff in your bin is yours, other stuff needs to be labeled
if it isn't a donation to the shop.

In this case, and I'll let Matt chime in with more details as appropriate,
there was some confusion as to whose X-10 modules they were and if they were
"unwanted" and thus free to be taken.

Members should double check with the council before taking anything home as
"unwanted stuff at the shop that's free to a (good) home" unless its in the
designated junk area (which isn't currently labeled :-( and which has a
fuzzy boundary with all the other stuff on the floor in front of the
shelves).

-Doug