[hackpgh-discuss] PPPRS batteries

  • From: Elijah Richter <elirichter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 13:48:59 -0400

Hey folks, I wanted to get opinion on battery technology alternatives for
power wheels before buying a new set for this season. Right now, we are
using the 35apm-hour AGM lead acid batteries, which work OK, but are
limiting our power due to inherent current limitations of the batteries.
There are a couple solutions being kicked around to get around this using
the lead acid batteries, but I wanted to put out one last call for
alternative proposals before we buy another set of AGMs. Keep in mind when
coming up with proposals that we are limited to the following battery
technologies.
• SLA (Marine labeled sealed lead acid, Absorbed Glass Mat )
• LiFePO4 (Pre Approved Brands: A123, CALB, & Headway)
• NiCd
• NiMh
The alternative pack should be 36V (nominal) so that they can be used
interchangeably with the current packs (this way we could phase them in
rather than buying multiple sets), but lower voltages may be acceptable if
it opens any options. The batteries should be able to deliver an average of
60amps over a period of 15 minutes with peak current of ~100amps.

Please let me know by tomorrow (Wednesday) if you have something you'd like
to propose (it doesn't have to be fully fleshed out, just let me know to
hold off on ordering a new set). If I don't hear from anyone, I will order
a new pack after tomorrow's meeting.

-Eli