[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Misplaced Picture of Shop for entry mural design.

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 19:55:21 -0400

Excuse me Chad.

I understand the need to keep spam off of mailing list, I am running the
WPLUG-Plan and code-for-pittsburgh-technical lists right now.

What is confusing me is that for the past month you have been
disgruntled about things not happening in the shop. Not enough shop
project are being worked on, not enough talks are being given, no one
knowing which printer would be the best, the shop isn't getting enough
attention and all of that.

Now you are saying that prerequisite actions in doing that is spam. For
example, your post asking Adam Longwill to give a talk in my thread
about the FCC making regulations that would make it harder for hackers
to hack the things they own would be spam, even though it would be
ultimately good for the shop if you can get Adam to give a talk, because
that wasn't what the topic was. I am not judging the action as either
good or bad.

I could feasibility make yet another mailing list for digital shop
projects, but that only proves EJ's original point that we are getting
fragmented into closed off and unfriendly factions. Even though I don't
agree with his solution because it requires too much cat herding to be
feasible in my opinion, is a good point. That is why I try to make it a
habit to sponsor events such a Finish It Friday, WPLUG and Steel City
Information Security because they consistently bring in a high
percentage of people who aren't yet members.

It is also very little trouble for me to comply with your original
request to send my proposals to the info address. The only issues I have
is whether it inhibits the creative process prematurely and we end up
with something mediocre instead of great, or even good enough. Surely
either of those actions will cause me far less trouble than writing this
very email.

All I am looking for is a consistent message on what we are going to
prioritize so we may work optimally to achieve our goals.

On 07/30/2015 09:29 AM, Chad Elish wrote:

Attached is the photo John.

When you are done with the proposal. Could you please send a it to the
info address. Not the list. We want to keep spam off of the list.

Cheers!
-Chad
President | HackPGH
Pittsburgh’s First Makerspace