[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Maker Faire project?

  • From: Steven Owens <stevenjowens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 18:50:20 -0400

Damn autocorrect. For extra flash, have a knob that tweaks the
folding works to make the resulting paper airplane curve left or curve
right (or other tricks).

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Steven Owens <stevenjowens@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For extra flash, have a knob that tweaks the wedding folks to make the
planes curve left or right.

On Jul 9, 2015 2:44 PM, wrote:

I've always wanted to make a similar gadget that folds and shoots paper
airplanes, rapid fire. Maybe small potatoes airplanes, to make then faster
and cheaper (and less wasteful).

On Jul 9, 2015 1:48 PM, "Doug Philips" <dgou@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Considering the number of large fire producing Maker Faire things that have
happened, I don't think "too dangerous" is the right
response, I think "how to mitigate the danger" is...

I was actually thinking of having a barrel around the shooting end in case
of "fragmentation at launch".
As to the landing part, if only acrylic weren't so expensive, I'd like to
have a clear barrel long enough to contain the entire flight.
If we aren't going to be outside where wind is a factor, we could have a
"catcher's box" perhaps?
With targets maybe... Hmmmm...

Well, so far this is still in the brainstorming phase...

-=D

On 7/9/15 12:44 PM, Alex Reasinger wrote:
I have built frisbee throwers before that are not that difficult.

On Jul 9, 2015 12:43 PM, "Greg Land" <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

No more dangerous then firing a shotgun into the air.

In all seriousness if you wanted to turn this into a makerfair project
it would be more appropriate to modulate the speed and buy about 35
frisbees.

On Jul 9, 2015 12:39 PM, "Robert Berger" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:bob@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Doesn't anyone else think doing this at a public event is a very
bad idea?

When acrylic shatters it can create small sharp shards. I would
not use such a device unless everyone in the room was wearing eye
protection.

- Bob

On Jul 8, 2015, at 7:14 PM, Joachim Hall <jjoachimhall@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jjoachimhall@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

That would be really awesome! We'd have to be really careful
because I would think on of those could cut you really bad. I've also seen
people spin the CD until it explodes.

On Jul 8, 2015 1:29 PM, "Chad Elish" <chad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:chad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

-Chad

On Jul 8, 2015, at 1:05 PM, Doug Philips <dgou@xxxxxxx
<mailto:dgou@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

Of course we'd have to take this 'up a notch', but still, it
looks quite doable.
Safety? Well, hmmm...

http://www.core77.com/posts/38777/Misburnt-CDs-Angle-Grinder-Pigeon-Throwing-Machine

(Not able to make it Detroit, thinking of our own Maker
Faire...)
-=Doug

--
Steven J. Owens