[hackpgh-discuss] Ludum Dare: 48 hour game jam

  • From: Simon Heath <icefoxen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 21:34:54 -0400

So there's a 48-hour game jam I like doing called Ludum Dare. Concept is simple: The participants vote on a theme, everyone makes a game, and then people play each other's games and rate them at the end. They have a clever system where the more games you rate, the higher your game gets pushed in the list of things for other people to play. It's a ton of fun, since you don't know which theme is the winner until the timer starts and you only have 48 hours to make a game from start to finish. They do them 3-4 times a year, and the next is on December 9th.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/

They also have real-world meetups for these events, and I thought it might be cool to host one at HackPGH, if only to start the night off when everyone's trying to come up with ideas. Anyone think this would be cool?

Simon