[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Compass

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:47:07 -0400

Ok, found a spare for the shop. I'm not going anywhere today, but I can try and leave it there on Wed during the day while I'm out on errands. I'll also be at CMU on Thu, Fri, and Sat from noon until 5 or 6 each day.

On 3/25/12 11:28, j. eric townsend wrote:
Two things:

- We could probably use a cheap/basic compass in the shop for stuff like
this, I'll see if I have an extra/spare from my IT days.

- That might be "good enough" out of the box. Being good from the
factory means it's quicker to set up and test a phone/gps unit.

On 3/24/12 21:56, Elijah Richter wrote:
This compass: http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/cmps10i2c.htm

Doesn't need to be super accurate, it will probably just end up setting
an initial heading value then I have a gyro that I will integrate for
heading changes. The time I need this to work for is short enough that
gyro drift shouldn't be a problem. When will you be in the shop next?

-Eli

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM, j. eric townsend <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

On 3/24/12 21:08, Elijah Richter wrote:

Hey, does anyone have a compass (standard analog) that I could
use to
calibrate my bot?

How much accuracy do you need and what's your electronic compass?

I have a mil-spec one I use for all sorts of things but getting
electronic ones calibrated has always been a pain for me.

--
J. Eric Townsend
design: www.allartburns.org <http://www.allartburns.org>; hacking:

--