[hackpgh-discuss] 3D Printer

  • From: Elijah Richter <elirichter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:29:31 -0400

Hey everyone, the Mendelmax is back online and printing well. It is
currently connected to the computer next to it with base settings loaded,
so for anyone already familiar with the machine, you can load your STL onto
that machine, slice, and print. I will be at the members meeting tomorrow
and can give anyone a rundown of the machine if you haven't used it before
or if you need a refresher.

My only request is that you are careful not to disturb the bed (and thus
screw up the level) when removing your prints. I've found that the best
practice now is to let the bed cool to < 90°C (colder if your part has a
lot of surface area), then use a stiff blade to pry the part off the bed,
being careful of course to not cut the tape on the bed surface. Done right,
this shouldn't require much force.

We still need to setup/update online repositories for the firmware and
print settings, so please talk to me after the meeting if you'd be
interested in helping to organize that.

-Eli