[hackpgh-balloon] Re: Hackerspace Charlotte's First Flight

  • From: Matt Stultz <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-balloon <hackpgh-balloon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 20:54:03 -0500

Yeah, Chris worked with them some on this project but it was a rush because
their sponsor on it, a local news station, had a tight timeline of when
they wanted it done. Chris wasn't able to go out on the launch with them
but has been following along. Sadly he just informed me that for now the
balloon is lost. They are hoping to go back out tomorrow or in the near
future to try to find it. I don't have a lot of details on their search
tactics but I know the were planning on bringing ground tracking gear.

Their payload consisted of a Byonics Micro-trak that is essentially the
same thing as "old faithful" that HackPGH uses. They had 2 GoPro cameras
loaned to them from the news station in the payload also. There were no
other systems in the payload.

These things happen when you are into this hobby but you do your best to
try to minimize the possibly chances for problems.

Thanks,
Matt