hackfix-virusnews: Worms Crawl Toward Instant Messaging (interesting articles)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:01:18 -0400

Worms Crawl Toward Instant Messaging

IM users should become more security-conscious as IM
spreads across devices and invites viruses.

Frank Thorsberg, special to PCWorld.com
Tuesday, May 28, 2002

Instant messaging applications make it easy to chat
in real-time with friends and coworkers, or even to
meet new people online. Without proper protection,
however, IM users make tempting targets for hackers
intent on stealing personal information or corrupting
PCs for evil purposes.

Security experts say the potential threat is real and
growing every day with the skyrocketing use of IM
programs from America Online, Microsoft, and Yahoo.
As of April, those vendors served a combined total of
more than 111 million unique home users in the United
States, says Jupiter Media Metrix. That's up from a
combined total of 98.6 million unique U.S. users last
October.

Read more here:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,101084,00.as

Copyright (c) 2002 PC World Communications, Inc.

Additional articles:

http://www.internetnews.com/stats/article.php/1268921
Copyright 2002 INT Media Group, Incorporated All
Rights Reserved.

http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,
14179,2868239,00.html
Copyright =A9 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights
reserved.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~