hackfix-virusnews: W32.Frethem.K@mm

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:20:41 -0700

Virus name: W32.Frethem.K@mm

Threat level:      Category 3

Common virus name; Win32 worm

Discovered: July 12
Date: 15 July 2002

Variants: a variant of W32.Frethem.B@mm
Reference urls:
Symantec;
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.frethem

.k@xxxxxxx

Sophos;
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32frethemfam.html

Trend;
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WOR

M_FRETHEM.K

Information borrowed from; SYMANTEC SECURITY ALERT

Technical information:
   W32.Frethem.K@mm sends itself to email addresses
   it finds in the Microsoft Windows Address Book, as
   well as any email addresses found in files ending
   with the following extensions:

   ..dbx, .wab, .mbx, .eml, and .mdb

The email includes the following:

Subject: Re: Your password!
Attachments: Decrypt-password.exe and Password.txt
Message:
ATTENTION!

You can access very important information by this
password

DO NOT SAVE password to disk use your mind

now press cancel

After sleeping for several hours, the worm also copies
itself to
C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Setup.exe
so it is executed each time Windows is started.

~~~~

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~