hackfix-virusnews: Trojan Horse Technology Exploits IE (interesting article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:54:48 -0400

More proof of Concept.. will the problem be fixed
before the problem becomes real?
~~~~

Trojan Horse Technology Exploits IE

Researchers show a tool that could admit hackers by
pretending to be a trusted Microsoft application.

Kim Zetter, special to PCWorld.com
Monday, August 05, 2002

LAS VEGAS--A new technology could let a Trojan horse
disguise itself as Internet Explorer and let hackers
steal data from your PC by fooling firewalls into
thinking it's a trusted Microsoft application, say
three security consultants.

The trio of South African researchers demonstrated
the technique for breeching firewalls Sunday at
DefCon. The annual security conference draws hackers,
security professionals, and even cybercrime
investigators.

Security pros have been warning for two years that a
Trojan horse bypassing firewall detection is the
inevitable next step in hacking technology. At
DefCon, it appeared in the form of Setiri, a demo
Trojan horse that can operate without a user or
firewall detecting its actions. The researchers say
they will not release Setiri into the wild for
hackers to use, but called on Microsoft to change the
IE features that permit it to operate.

Read more here:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,103620,00.as

Copyright (c) 2001 PC World Communications, Inc.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~