hackfix-virusnews: Researcher Claims Online Anti-virus Scanners Buggy

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 04:18:29 -0400

Researcher Claims Online Anti-virus Scanners Buggy
By Larry Seltzer
April 7, 2004

UPDATED: Online scanners from Symantec, McAfee and
Panda all contain buffer overflows. One researcher
claims an attacker could execute arbitrary code,
another just that they could crash the browser. Panda
reports their software has been fixed and Symantec
and McAfee confirm the browser crash.

An Israeli security researcher claims to have found
security holes in the free online scanners of three
major anti-virus companies.

Rafel Ivgi, also known as "The Insider," in posts to
several security mailing lists, claims that Panda
ActiveScan, McAfee FreeScan, and Symantec Virus
Detection all suffer from buffer overflows that could
allow an attacker to crash the system and potentially
execute arbitrary code.

Read more here:
Copyright =A9 1996-2004 Ziff Davis Media Inc.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~