hackfix-virusnews: More information on Perrun virus

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 04:42:43 -0400

This virus was mentioned yesterday in a posting that
did not have references to antivirus sites.   Here is
more information and references to this virus.   This
virus appears to be low risk and will probably stay
that way but it is a proof of concept that it can be
done.

News bits
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/06/14/102386433
8247.html
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/06/13/vir
us-pictures.htm

Antivirus references:
http://www.antivirus.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/virusencyclo/
default5.asp?VName=PE_PERRUN.A
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99522.htm
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.perrun.
html

W32.Perrun
Discovered on: June 13, 2002

W32.Perrun is a virus that infects JPEG files. The
malicious content of files that it infects will not
spread to other computers. Indications of infection
are that .jpg files will have increased in size by
approximately 11KB, and the presence of the file
Extrk.exe.

If a .jpg file that has been infected by W32.Perrun
is opened on another, uninfected computer, it will
not execute malicious actions on that computer
because the virus requires the presence of the
Extrk.exe file for it to execute and infect other
files.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~