hackfix-virusnews: Mac Trojan Set Loose?More to Come?

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 02:58:10 -0400

Mac Trojan Set Loose=97More to Come?
By Ian Betteridge
May 13, 2004

The first malicious Trojan for Mac OS X has been
found in the wild, leading some to claim the platform
may be on the verge of increased attention from virus
writers.

The Trojan=97dubbed AS.MW2004.Trojan by anti-virus
company Intego=97was first discovered by a reader of
British Mac magazine MacWorld. It takes the form of a
file purporting to be a version of the newly released
Office 2004 for Mac and is available on download
services such as LimeWire.

However, despite appearing with a legitimate-looking
icon, the Trojan is in fact a simple AppleScript
application that, when run, erases the contents of
the user's Home folder. And, unlike the real release
of Office 2004, the application is only 108KB in
size.

Read more here:
Copyright =A9 1996-2004 Ziff Davis Publishing
Holdings Inc.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~