hackfix-virusnews: Google toolbar exposes PCs to attack (interesting article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:54:40 -0400

Google toolbar exposes PCs to attack
12:26 Friday 9th August 2002
Matthew Broersma

Researchers say the popular toolbar for Internet
Explorer allows attackers to read local files and
execute malicious commands

An Israeli security firm has discovered a security
vulnerability in Google's Internet Explorer toolbar
that could allow an attacker to run malicious code on
a user's PC, read private files, and carry out other
intrusions.

According to GreyMagic Software, a flaw in the Google
Toolbar version 1.1.58 and earlier allows an attacker
to embed code in any Web page that fools the toolbar
into executing the attacker's commands. These
commands can include altering the toolbar's
parameters, which allows the attacker to hijack
searches, alter the appearance of the toolbar or
uninstall it completely. It also, more dangerously,
allows the attacker to execute code on the user's PC.

Read more here:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t281-s2120613,00.html

Copyright =A9 2002 CNET Networks, Inc. All Rights
Reserved.
ZDNET is a registered service mark of CNET Networks,
Inc.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~