hackfix-virusnews: Download.Ject-style worm spreads via IM

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:47:41 -0400

Download.Ject-style worm spreads via IM
By John Leyden
Published Friday 20th August 2004 15:26 GMT

A Download.Ject-style worm which spreads through
instant messages is spreading across the Net,
according to intrusion prevention firm PivX.

The as-yet unnamed worm arrives as an innocuous
looking instant message on AIM or ICQ which says: "My
personal home page http://XXXXXXX.X-XXXXXX.XXX/";.
This link takes users to a one of a number of sites
hosted in Uruguay, Russia and the US, from which a
Trojan horse program is downloaded. These websites
contains exploit code designed to infect surfers by
taking advantages of a variety of well known IE
exploits (such as Object Data, Ibiza CHM and MHTML
Redirect).

Infection will modify a user's home page to a site
called TargetSearch. The setting of an infected
user's browser will also be changed to open up
several browser windows displaying adult
advertisement and referral links every time IE is
loaded, according to preliminary analysis of the
worm.

Read more here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/20/im_worm/
 =A9 Copyright 2004

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~