hackfix-virusnews: Can Hackers "Explorer" Your Computer? (interesting article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 11:56:29 -0400

June 5, 2002
Can Hackers "Explorer" Your Computer?

By  Mary E. Behr, PC Magazine

A Finnish computer expert yesterday announced a hole
in Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) that may give
hackers access to your PC, thanks to IE's support for
an outdated form of web page display technology.
Microsoft, in turn, blasted the expert for not
working with the company to create a patch.

The technology, called Gopher, was once used to
organize and show pages on the Internet before
today's HTML technology. IE contains support for
Gopher, and it's the part of the code that parses
Gopher replies
that has an "exploitable buffer overflow bug." If a
buffer overflow is triggered, new code overwrites the
buffer.
This affects several versions of IE, including 5.5
and 6.0.

Read More Here:

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=201&a=2782
8,00.asp

Copyright (c) 2002: Ziff Davis Media Inc. All rights
reserved.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~