[guispeak] Seeking testers for CheckPDF -- an automated accessibility checker

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 17:01:25 -0400

I am seeking testers for a beta program I have developed called CheckPDF. As you know, there are many tools for testing the accessibility of web pages, including free ones. For PDFs, however, one generally has to use the commercial Acrobat or Common Look products, and those user interfaces are not screen reader-friendly. CheckPDF, on the other hand, is completely accessible, and it can generate a batch of report files with a single operation.

I hope CheckPDF can fill a void in the capability to generate reports about the accessibility of PDFs, since I know of no free tool that does this. It is a bit of a hack - automating a GUI -- but I seem to have it working well on 32-bit XP and Vista with IE7 and IE8. I am looking for other combinations for test results, including IE9, Windows 7, and 64-bit Windows. If any of you on this list get a chance, would you review the docs, test the program, and report your results?

The CheckPDF installer is at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/CheckPDF_setup.exe

Documentation is also separately available online at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/CheckPDF.htm

A quick start is as follows. After installation (accepting all defaults), Copy a bunch of PDFs into the directory
C:\CheckPDF\data

Then run the program, e.g., from the desktop shortcut or the associated hotkey, Alt+Control+Shift+C,. A report should be generated for most PDFs (sometimes it cannot be done), e.g., test.pdf will have a test.htm report in the same directory. One can browse the reports to look for patterns in how well the PDF authoring programs are creating the PDFS according to accessibility guidelines.

Jamal