[guidedogchat] Gemma's Story Part 2

  • From: "Norman Waddington" <normanwaddington504@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guidedogchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:23:35 +0100

Hi All,

Here is the second part of Gemma's Story.

Norman.

GEMMA STORY 2

Hello once again I am getting Dr Waddington to do the keying in for me
because my paws are far to big for the keyboard.

In my last article I indicated that I would tell you about bus and train
training.  I went to the local bus depot where all the people were very nice
and I was allowed to practice on two types of buses, one with a single step
up and flat surface in and the other with three deep steps which were quite
difficult because I was still quite small.  I first got on the buses with no
engine running and had no problem.  John helped me to find a seat and showed
me how to go underneath in a ladylike fashion.  The driver then started the
engines and opening and closing the doors.  This made a whooshing noise
which was nothing to worry about.  The engines appeared to be very loud but
I was not at all scared.  I was very tired after such concentrated training.
Following this I then went on a service bus and had no problem at all and
found the seat and went under like a good girl.  I could not practice on the
trains but I found it very exciting when the train came into the platform.
I had seen them before but I had not got on one.  I was not phased at all by
being on the train.

Coming up to Christmas was very exciting because all the Christmas
decorations were being put up together with the tree and lights.  I was told
in no uncertain terms that all this was nothing to do with me.  We visited
Wakefield Cathedral in order to find out if I would be allowed to go to the
Christmas Carol Concert with the Yorkshire Philharmonic Choir with the
organ, brass band and a school choir accompanying the main choir.
Arrangements were made for me to have the pew forward of the North door.
John said this would be ideal because it was the only pew with a back down
to the floor which would stop me going backwards to the pew behind us.  They
also said the North door would be unlocked when the concert started.  If I
was naughty John could take me out without other people knowing we had to go
out.  On the night of the concert we had to do a long walk to the railway
station in very cold windy conditions.  We then got the train to Wakefield
and had to walk to the cathedral.  Afterwards we returned by bus which was
very exciting for me.  When we arrived at the cathedral although we were in
plenty of time there were a very large number of people already in their
seats.  We found ours with no problems and the cathedral was full to
capacity.  The concert started and I was not bothered at all by the organ
music or the choir.  When the brass band came in part way through I decided
it was quite exciting and conducted with my ears in time to the music.  I
did not join in but I did think about it when 'Oh Little Town of Bethlehem'
started but this was during the second half.  John was quite worried and
thought he may have to take me out but I decided to have a sleep during the
latter part of the concert.  During the interval all the humans were split
into four groups and each group had to go to a different part of the
cathedral.  We went to the refractory where mulled wine was served.  When we
were going back into the cathedral I passed the Mayor of Wakefield in the
corridor who indicated that she wished for me to be put in the Mayoral car.
Dr Waddington informed her Worship that she would be bringing me back after
an hour, and we all had a laugh at my expense.  All in all I was a very good
girl and John was extremely pleased.  I did not show us up and managed to
hold my busy until we got home.  We were informed that three quarters of the
people present were not aware that I was there.

Mr Grave came to see us in January which was quite exciting for me.  I went
for a walk with him and he seemed quite pleased with my progress.

I have started dog training classes which I find difficult because there are
so many other pups in the class.  We all want to play and not do any work.
I have special toys which John only lets me have at the class.  One of the
lessons which all the dogs have to learn is noise distraction with a vacuum.
I am used to this because we have this lesson every week at home.

When the snow came I found I could blow it if I snorted it would sometimes
pile up on my nose.  I did have to be careful not to slip because on slopes
it was very dangerous.  When it began to melt and refreeze it was even worse
for me.  John made me go everywhere on my lead for my own safety.

As for the cat she had her Asbo for 10 weeks.  It has now been lifted but
John says that it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other who is the most
badly behaved when it comes to teasing.  I guess we are equally as bad as
each other.  It makes me sigh a lot because I am not allowed to chase around
the house after Ina.  Amazingly when she runs up the stairs she makes more
noise than a human.

Gemma is quite big now weighing in at 64 pounds at 7 months of age.  She is
a very confident pup but there are some areas where we need to do quite a
lot of work with her.  She would appear to be exceptionally strong for a
bitch.

Gemma.