[guide.chat] the adventures of Mary Jane episode 6

  • From: "Jenny Mock" <r.mock356@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:07:30 +0100

When I was nearly sixteen I left Barclay school for partially  sighted girls, I
had to go home to my foster family and I really wanted to go to further
education as the education I had from school was not very good,but my foster
parents would not let me they told me that I have had a enough of school and I
had to go to work,so I went to the labour exchange as it was then and was given
a card to go to the International stores in Hook,when I got there the manager
told me he didn't know what I was doing there as he had no job vacancies for
anyone,so buzz off back to the labour exchange,when I went back to the labour
exchange they gave me another card and told me to go to the International
stores in Basingstoke. when I got there the manager spoke to me and told me to
come back the following week to start work,which I did,I had to stack shelves
weigh up loose sweets biscuits nuts and fruit,what he didn't tell me was that I
was supposed to weigh the nuts and fruit every day as the weight altered
because of evaporation  and one day the weights and measures inspector came and
checked all the weights of all the packages on the shelf and found that some of
them were under weight,when he approached the manager he was told that I was
the one who should have checked the packets every day,the he told the inspector
that I was new at the job,the inspector asked him if he had told me that was
what I had to do the manager admitted that he had not,anyway it all went to
court and the store was fined for short measures,after that I was taken off
that section and put on another section,I also had to put up orders that people
had rung into the store we had to get the list of things they wanted and put
them all into a box ready for delivery,of course because I had to hold the
paper right up to my eye the manager Mr Brown was a bit worried and wondered
whether he should keep me on or not,so he called my foster parents in to talk
to them,they assured him that I could do the job just give me a chance,I worked
in this store for two years,and one day I had to go to the hospital to see the
eye surgeon he asked me if I was working then said of course your not you
haven't got enough sight,I assured him that I was working and when I told him
what I was doing he said well you won't keep that job for long,I went to see
him again about two years later and he asked me again whether I had to give up
the job or not but I assured him I was still in the same job,well he said my
dear girl how do you do it,I told him it was bloody mindedness,

watch this space for next episode,
kind regards from Jenny Ray and  doggies skype name jenny.mock97