[guide.chat] protesters take wall street new york

  • From: "vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:30:27 -0000

Occupy Wall Street activists clashed Thursday with workers and police outside
the New York Stock Exchange, prompting over 150 arrests on the two-month
anniversary of the anti-capitalist movement.
As hundreds linked arms to block access to the NYSE building, several violent
scuffles broke out with organizers vowing a show of force despite recent
setbacks for the Occupy Wall Street campaign which has gone global.
Chanting "Wall Street's closed!" "We are the 99 percent" and "Whose street? Our
street!," about 1,000 demonstrators engaged in a tense face-off with hundreds
of police, including many on horseback outside the iconic exchange.
The protests were part of a "Global Day of Action" with hundreds of
demonstrations planned across the United States. Police evicted protesters in
Los Angeles and Dallas on Thursday, arresting dozens of people.
In London, protesters refused to budge as a deadline to leave their camp
outside St Paul's Cathedral by 1800 GMT passed, with the City of London
Corporation now expected to start legal action to remove them.
Thousands also marched in Spain and Athens to protest austerity measures and
public spending cuts, although the demonstrations were not directly linked to
the OWS movement.
After skirmishes throughout the morning in New York, up to 2,000 people
regrouped in Zuccotti Park, the symbolic heart of the movement, where the
Occupy camp was dismantled by police in a night-time raid early Tuesday.
"We need to show we are bigger than Zuccotti Park, that we are resilient, that
we refuse to submit to brutal police tactics," said Jessica Lingel, 28, a
librarian from New Jersey.
The protesters were preparing for a later march joined by union members,
planning to swarm the Brooklyn Bridge and disrupt evening commuter traffic.
"The numbers I've heard is something less than a thousand, but it's hard to
tell because you have a group here and another group there and some go from one
group to another," Mayor Michael Bloomberg told reporters.
"But it is not an overwhelming number," he added, saying "most people were able
to go about their business."
New York police commissioner Ray Kelly said seven police officers had been hurt
in the morning clashes and 177 people had been arrested.
The level of participation in the rallies could provide a clear indication of
Occupy Wall Street's clout exactly two months since the movement sprang up to
denounce corporate greed and the world's wealthiest "one percent."
While the stock market opened on time at 9:30 am (1430 GMT), protesters managed
a 45-minute blockade outside the NYSE. Police eventually intervened to break
through, establishing a corridor to escort traders and workers.
Amid chaotic scenes, police then moved in to clear the street, and ensuing
clashes sent police and protesters clattering to the ground. One man was
repeatedly clubbed with a police baton, while several protesters were
handcuffed and dragged into police trucks.
Several groups split up and moved in different directions, deploying to choke
points around lower Manhattan, blocking the area until police could move in and
clear it.
At least one exasperated New York cop seemed to concede victory to the
protesters.
"They've blocked everything off. This is what happens when you kick them out of
the park: you stir a hornet's nest," said the officer who would not provide his
name. "They wanted to disrupt Wall Street, and they've done it."
In Washington, more than 200 protesters set off from the Occupy DC encampment,
just meters from the White House, for the Francis Scott Key Bridge over the
Potomac River, marching through the heart of the US capital.
The marchers set off down K Street, where some of the most influential
lobbyists in Washington have their offices, chanting "We are the 99 percent"
alongside a police escort that included four Clydesdale horses.
According to activist group MoveOn, more than 460 protests were planned across
the country Thursday.
But in a survey released Wednesday, Public Policy Polling said it appeared
Americans were moving against the Occupy movement, with 45 percent of
respondents opposing its goals versus 33 percent in favor.
"That now makes the movement less popular than its right-wing counterpart, the
Tea Party," which enjoyed 42 percent support, the polling institute said.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123